[ Thank you for visiting, this competition is now closed, but please do read the post anyway…]
Today is Earth Day and to celebrate our amazing planet, I am holding a competition to win a generous giveaway of 2 prizes of not one, not two, but THREE Grip and Go glass bottles! And that’s not all…
Many of you have admired my Grip and Go bottles that I use for storing nut milk and now you have a chance to win your own, thanks to their kind donation of some fabulously stylish bottles – plus an added extra…
But first, there’s a condition:
You have to Read ‘The Science Bit’!
We have all seen the warnings in the media about the piles of plastic clogging up our oceans, littering our hedgerows and harming wildlife. We read the articles and watch the news heralding predictions that there will be more plastic than fish in our seas by 2050 – whilst sipping from our plastic water bottles, popping the plastic takeaway box in the microwave and wrapping leftovers in clingfilm.
It is hard to contemplate a world without plastic, we have grown so used to it in every aspect of our daily lives.
But its production and disposal is choking our planet and harming our health, with chemicals leaching into our food and water, potentially causing cancer, hormone disruption and asthma in children.
Plastic water bottles are a huge contributor to these problems.
Warm Weather and Plastic Water Bottles
How many of us carry plastic water bottles in the car and leave them there in the sun, often for several days?
Chemicals from the plastic are slowly leaching into the water as the plastic warms up:
- Antimony (causes chronic health conditions, including diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach ulcers)
- Bromine (causes irritation to skin and mucous membranes)
- Endocrine Disrupters affecting hormones, thyroid function etc.
- Cancer-causing agents
- Phthalates used as plastic softeners, associated with asthma in children.
Those plastic bottles will already be old by the time you buy them, having travelled halfway around the globe before you put them in your supermarket trolley, transport them in your warm car and store them in your warm home.
Some well-documented statistics about plastic bottles:
- In the US, 50 Billion plastic bottles are bought every year and 80% of them end up in landfill.
- More than 60 Million plastic bottles are thrown away every day in the US alone.
- Just 1 plastic bottle takes 450 years to completely break down – that’s 25 generations!
- 17 million barrels of oil are used every year in their production.
- Bottled water costs 1,000 times more than tap water.
- In the UK, as of 2007, an estimated 13 Billion plastic bottles of water were sold of which only 3 Billion were recycled.
- The UK consumes 3 Billion litres of bottled water per year.
- Despite the UK bottled water industry using increasing amounts of recycled plastic, it still creates a huge waste problem from discarded bottles which litter our hedgerows, streets and streams and often end up in the sea via our rivers.
- 1 refuse truck worth of plastic is dumped into the sea every minute and it is getting worse.
- The Eastern Garbage Patch is an area of ocean 6 times the size of England and is the world’s largest refuse dump.
- Last year, a report by The Ellen MacArthur Foundation announced that by 2050 there will likely be more plastic than fish in the sea.
- Their research found more than 5 Trillion pieces of plastic floating in the seas, many just 5 mm across making it easy for sea life to ingest.
- Toxic chemicals leached from the plastic when it breaks down may be ingested by sea life and end up in the human food chain.
Here’s one solution:
Reuseable Glass Bottles!
Grip and Go have very generously supplied 6 of their stylish, leakproof, dishwasher-safe glass bottles as prizes in our competition.
350 mls. 500 mls. 1 Litre.
There will be two prizes of three bottles each, one prize to be won on Facebook, one on Twitter. You can even choose the colours!
But that’s not all!
In addition to the bottles, there will also be two Double-walled Insulated Travel Mugs, one to go with each prize.
This is a fantastic prize.
All you have to do is Like and Follow Grip & Go on Facebook and/or Twitter (@gripandgouk) for a chance to win these gorgeous bottles.
The competition will run from Mid-day Friday, 22nd April, 2016 and end at Midnight on Friday, 29th April, 2016.
Winners will be chosen at random.
(NB Apologies to all non-UK residents: due to the nature and weight of the prize, unfortunately this competition is only open to UK-based followers).
Just click on the link below to go to their web site, have a look at the bottles and travel mugs, decide which colours you’d like, click on their Twitter and Facebook links, Like And Follow using #earthdaycomp.
Like and Follow. #earthdaycomp. Easy-Peasy!
Copyright: Chris McGowan